Skip to main content

Texas Sheet Cake

Source is my mom. I have no idea where she got this recipe but she's had it for 20-30 years if not longer. One of Anthony's coworkers is going to go to school in Seattle and his going away party is today. I was told there would be BBQ food so I thought this dessert goes with a southern theme of food : ) and it feeds tons of people

Texas Sheet Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 sticks margarine
6 tablespoons cocoa
1 cup water
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs

Sift together flour and sugar together in a large mixing bowl. In a small pan, combine margarine, cocoa, and water. Bring to a rapid boil. Then pour over flour and sugar. Mix well. Combine buttermilk and baking soda in measuring cup. Lightly beat eggs. Add buttermilk-soda and eggs to mixing bowl. Mix well. Add salt, cinnamon, and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into a greased and loured 16 X 11 X 1 inch jellyroll pan. Bake 20 minutes in a preheated 350 degree oven.

FROSTING for Texas Sheet Cake

1 stick margarine
5 tablespoons cocoa
6 tablespoons cooked black coffee
1 pound box of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans or walnuts

Combine margarina, cocoa, and coffee in a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Pour over powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Add vanilla. Beat until smooth. Add nuts and mix. Spread on warm cake. (Make this frosting while the cake is baking and put on cake a few minutes after it is out of the oven)

My Changes
I used sticks of butter because I just dont normally buy margarine

I used a 12 X 17 X 1 inch pan because my smaller pan didn't have the measurements on it. I did take my cake out about 3 minutes early because it was done due to being thinner in this pan.

Lastly, we do not drink coffee or even have a coffee maker. In college when I would make this cake my awesome neighbor Nick lived upstairs and would make a pot of coffee for me to use in this recipe. Sadly I dont know any of my neighbors well enough to ask for a cup of coffee so I used some instant suisse mocha. The coffee flavor will not be as strong because of this.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.