Skip to main content

Chinese Chicken Salad

I wanted a Chinese chicken salad for lunch today so I decided to make one.
I used Ina Garten's recipe, then I didn't like the dressing so I had DH throw more stuff into the dressing to improve it. Also I browsed Bobby Flays Chinese chicken salad and decided to combine both Ina's and Bobby's. I liked Bobby's vegetable ideas better. I also decided that I did not end up saving any $ by making this at home and next time I should just go to Cheesecake Factory and order myself one. This recipe tasted good, but DH said he gets a Chinese chicken salad from Lawson's for $7 and he likes the dressing better. I may have to start watching Sandra Lee's show about saving money. Oh no!

Ina's Recipe

Bobby's Recipe

My Changes

Ingredients

4 split chicken breasts (bone-in, skin-on)
Good olive oil
Kosher salt
Freshly ground black pepper
1/2 pound asparagus, ends removed, and cut in thirds diagonally I didn't use asparagus.
1 red bell pepper, cored and seeded
2 scallions (white and green parts), sliced diagonally
1 tablespoon white sesame seeds, toasted I didn't use sesame seeds
Shredded Carrots, about 4
Snap Peas cut in halves
Romain Lettuce, ripped into bite sized pieces

For the dressing: My dressing did contain all of the following, plus some extras

1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup good apple cider vinegar
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 1/2 tablespoons dark sesame oil
1/2 tablespoon honey
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon peeled, grated fresh ginger
1/2 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted
1/4 cup smooth peanut butter
2 teaspoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

MORE honey, dashes of Franks red hot sauce.

Directions

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the chicken breasts on a sheet pan and rub with the skin with olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Roast for 35 to 40 minutes, until the chicken is just cooked. Set aside until cool enough to handle. Remove the meat from the bones, discard the skin, and shred the chicken in large bite-sized pieces. Place the chicken into a large bowl.

Cut the peppers into bite sized pieces and toss in bowl.
Cut the snap peas in halves and toss into the bowl.
Cut the green onions, white and greens and toss into the bowl

Toss all salad ingredients in the bowl to combine

Whisk together all of the ingredients for the dressing.
We poured our dressing into a gravy holder so we didn't end up over dressing the salad and the leftover salad will stay crisp.

Garnishes.
Chow Mein Noodles are a must for me
Roasted Peanuts

(DH had both on his salad)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov

Low iodine taco

Taco seasoning Ground Beef Red Onion, diced Garlic, minced Lettuce, shredded Avocado Lime juice Tomato, diced 1 Jalapeno, diced No salt salsa Unsalted tortilla chips, I used Guiltless Gourmet Taco Seasoning 2 teaspoons cumin 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon non iodized salt 1 teaspoon pepper 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 1 teaspoon corn starch Guacamole 3 avocados juice of 1 lime 1/4 of a diced red onion diced jalapeno Mix together taco seasoning ingredients and add to 1 pound ground meat, minced garlic, and 3/4 of diced onion. Brown meat, garlic,b and onions until cooked through. Put no salt added tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, meat mixture, salsa, lettuce and guacamole

Low Iodine Diet

I have to be on this low iodine diet for a while. At least until the end of February. You will be seeing some new recipes coming as my husband and I try to cook things to fit this diet. More info can be found here Thyroid Cancer Survivor Association I don't have thyroid cancer. I do have to have the same treatment as a thyroid cancer patient would have. Don't worry! I'll be fine in a few months. Some of the guidelines include -No seafood. no problem since I don't eat any -No soy products. no soy sauce, no tofu, no soy beans. sadness :( -No processed foods. The frozen meals I like to eat at lunch at work are now OUT. AHHHHHHHHHH and so are things like canned soup. Good bye tomato soup in a can -No dairy. Whatever is used to clean the cow milking equipment has iodine. how will I like without milk, cheese, and yogurt. it really puts a damper on my breakfast options. -Only fresh bread. I just threw a loaf of sliced wheat bread in the freezer for when the diet