Skip to main content

Rib Night

 


We had 'family' dinner Friday which means the boyfriend and my friends.  I made collard greens for the first time, sweet and spicy coleslaw which was maybe too spicy this time, corn on the cob, mac n cheese, cornbread, water melon, and a lemon cake for dessert!


BBQ PORK RIBS

Rub

Ingredients:
* 1 1/2 cups dark brown sugar
* 1 1/4 cups sugar
* 1/2 cup salt
* 1/4 cup ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup paprika
* 2 to 4 slabs baby back ribs
*** to add some heat try 1-2 tablespoons cayenne ***

Directions:

Combine all the ingredients for the dry rub in a mixing bowl. Rub the ribs with the dry rub. Lay on a doubled sheet of aluminum foil. Wrap ends over first, then fold up sides and crinkle tightly closed around rack (as little air as possible, without tearing the foil). Let marinate in refrigerator for 8 hours or overnight.

Preheat oven to 275 degrees F.

Without unwrapping foil cocoons, place ribs on a large baking pan lined with more aluminum foil (the juice will leak and you don't want the sugar to burn to your pan). Place in middle rack of oven. Let roast for 3 1/2 hours.  I think it could go for 4 hours for the most perfect fall off consistency.  


Adding the BBQ Sauce:

Preheat grill to medium heat.

Take ribs out of the oven and open the foil before placing it on the grill. The meat will be so tender, you do not want to put the ribs directly on the grill. Cook for 20 more minutes, turning and basting with sauce. Serve directly from the grill.


COLLARD GREENS

  • 8 cups collard greens (2 large bunches, remove ribs and stems and discard, roll and cut into smaller pieces)
  • 2 ham hocks or shanks (I used a diced ham steak but it may have been too salty)
  • 1 Tbsp. brown sugar
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes

Dump everything in crockpot and set on low about 7-8 hours.  Add a little water if it starts to get dry.  I made a mistake and only bought 1 large bunch of greens, but it did serve 4 people.  I just halved all the other ingredients to make it work.  I suggest buying the 2 bunches of greens and making the recipe as written!  Next time I will look for a smoked pork knuckle instead of just diced ham.  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.