Skip to main content

BBQ beef, caprese, potato salad



 

The herb garden has been growing like crazy with the cooler and rainy weather we have been having.  I planned a meal around some of the fresh herbs.  I made 2 pounds of bbq beef, a dill potato salad using baby red potato, and a caprese salad with fresh basil. 

BBQ Beef (this is a double batch)
2 pounds ground beef
1 large onion, diced
1.5 cups ketchup
2 tablespoons mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce

In a large pot, brown the beef and onions in some olive oil.  Salt and pepper the beef.
Drain and return beef to pot.
Add all the sauce ingredients and heat through.
Serve on slider or Hawaiian rolls or hamburger buns.

I like to keep the BBQ beef in the crockpot.  I brown the beef and then put it in the crockpot with the sauce ingredients.  I cook it on low for an hour or two and then just switch to keep warm.  

Potato Salad
baby red potatoes, boiled then diced
celery, diced
pickle, diced
pickle juice
lemon juice
mayo
mustard
fresh dill, chopped
salt, pepper, paprika

Mix everything to your preference.  My boyfriend didn't find it tangy enough, but I felt it was all just right.  Use the paprika as a sprinkle at the very end.  Don't stir into the potato salad.

Caprese Salad
tomato, sliced and then sugar and salted
mozzarella ball, sliced
fresh basil
olive oil
balsamic vinegar

Layer the tomatoes, mozz, and basil.  Drizzle with equal amount of olive oil and balsamic.  Add another sprinkle of salt.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.