Skip to main content

Tomato Soup


Recipe from food52.com

Ripe tomatoes, cored and cut into quarters. We had about 8 tomatoes from ourgarden plus two heirloom from the farmers market.
Drizzle of olive oil
Salt
Pepper
Garlic cloves
1 sprig of rosemary which was also from our garden.
3 springs of thyme
(cream was part of the original recipe but I tasted the soup without it and liked the way it tasted. I saved myself some calories!)

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Line a deep baking pan with foil. Something shallow like a jelly roll pan wont hold all the juices from the tomatoes as they roast.
Place the tomatoes cut side down on the foil and drizzle with olive oil.
Cook the tomatoes and cloves of garlic for an hour.
Let cool and then peel the skins off the tomatoes. We found that using your hands worked faster than trying tongs and a spoon.
Put the tomato pulp and juices into a large saucepan.
Peel the skin off the garlic and place the soft garlic in with the tomatoes.
Heat the tomato pulp and garlic until almost boiling.
Use an immersion blender to smooth the tomato soup into your preferred consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste.
(This is where you can add some cream)
In a small sauce pan add olive oil and pick rosemary and thyme from their stems. Heat but keep the temperature low.
Place the hot tomato and garlic puree into soup bowls and drizzle with the herbed olive oil.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.