Skip to main content

Cottage Pie

 

So I would normally call this a shepherd's pie, but people have been correcting it to a cottage pie due to it not being made of lamb.  I made a double batch of filling in order to freeze a batch for an easy dinner later.  Someone suggested grabbing instant mashed potatoes for a really quick meal, but Adam says I won't like them.

Ingredients for filling:
2 pounds ground beef, browned
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons tomato paste
small jar beef gravy
3 cups beef stock.  1 box is about 4 cups.  you may need extra
2 cans corn, drained
2 cans green beans, drained
3-4 carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 small onions, diced
3-4 cloves garlic, minced

Heat oil in a a large pan with tall sides if making a double batch.
Brown the ground beef.  Do not drain.  to the beef and grease add 4 tablespoons flour and 4 tablespoons tomato paste.
Cook flour and incorporate the paste.
Next add in beef gravy and beef stock.
Add in all the veggies and boil until the carrots are softened.  This will take time!  
Stir mixture as it's cooking to prevent it sticking to pan.
When carrots are softened, put mixture into a casserole dish and top with mashed potatoes.
Cook in 400 degree oven for about 30 minutes.  Top mashed potatoes with cheddar cheese at the end if you wish.

Ingredients for mashed potatoes:
2 lbs red potatoes, skins on.  We like a little texture
butter
milk
sour cream
salt, pepper, garlic powder

Boil potatoes.  Add all ingredients to a mixer until you are happy with the taste.  We add and taste several times before we are happy with it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.