Skip to main content

Italian Wedding Soup

Yeah spinach for the second Monday in a row :P I served this with cheese bread from Harris Teeter

Italian Wedding Soup
from A Year in the Kitchen by Ashlee Wetherington
Italian Wedding Soup

Italian Wedding Soup

Meatballs:
1 tbsp. fresh minced italian herbs
1/2 small onion, grated
1 egg
1 clove minced garlic
2 tbsp. grated parmesan
salt and pepper
1/4 c. breadcrumbs
6 oz. lean ground beef (I used a pound and just added extra breadcrumbs and parm cheese)


Soup:
1 tbsp. EVOO
1/2 yellow onion, grated
2 garlic cloves, grated
8 c. chicken broth
1/2 c. stars pasta (I used mini wagon wheels)
1 c. frozen leaf spinach, thawed and drained well (I used a 10 ounce box and it may have been a little too much but I didnt mind it)
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp. fresh flat leaf parsley, minced
1 tbsp. fresh minced oregano
Pinch crushed red pepper flakes


Heat a large soup pot over low heat. Add EVOO, onion and garlic. Season and sweat out veggies for 5 minutes, do not brown!
Add stock, and turn heat to high. Cover and bring to a low boil.
While stock begins to boil, mix together all meatball ingredients. Divide into fourths. From each fourth, form 6 mini meatballs.
Turn the stock down to medium heat, and drop in meatballs as they're formed.
Once finished, add in stars and cover. Cook for 8 minutes.
Add in spinach and herbs. Taste and season.
Serve immediately, top with grated parmesan.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.