Skip to main content

Indian at Home

We had two leftover steaks that we needed to use up.
We wanted to make Indian food so I took my chicken Tikka Masala recipe and instead of adding chicken added our steaks.

Recipe from "Complete Indian Cooking"

"Chicken" Tikka Masala

Masala Sauce
4 tablespoons ghee or vegetable oil
2 onion, thinly sliced. I used just 1 onion because I wasnt using a lot of meat and I wanted a good balance
1 inch piece of ginger root, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
6 cardamoms, bruised. I did not have these and couldn't find them at the grocery store and I didn't have time to visit Penzys
2 teaspoons garam masala
2 teaspoons coriander
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 1/4 cups heavy cream
2 tablespoons tomato paste
4 tablespoons hot water I used some of the boiling water that was cooking my rice
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
We threw in some frozen peas

Make the sauce by heating the ghee or oil in a large skillet or saucepan; add the onion, ginger, and garlic and cook over gentle heat, stirring frequently, until softened but not colored.

Add the spices and fry, stirring for 1-2 minutes until fragrant, then add the cream, tomato paste, water, sugar, and salt. Bring slowly to a boil, stirring, then lower the heat, and simmer gently, stirring, for 10-15 minutes. We cooked the sauce for about 10 minutes and for the last 5 minutes we included the precooked meat and the frozen peas.

We served this over some brown rice and had Trader Joes Garlic Naan on the side. It was really really good. I'll be making it again.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov...

Thanksgiving Leftovers

What did everyone do with their turkey leftovers? We roasted a turkey breast Friday night. We carved the meat off the bone and made turkey stock with the bones and some vegetables overnight. Saturday I made turkey pot pie and my husband made turkey noodle soup.

Trader Joes Orange Chicken

People are always asking what everyone likes to buy at Trader Joes. Last night we used the orange chicken in a new way. We cooked the chicken and sauce following the instructions on the bag but we used the chicken to top a salad. I bought romain lettuce, a red bell pepper, green onions, and Ken's asian sesame dressing. Then I sprinkled some sunflower seeds and red pepper flakes on top of my chicken. It was pretty similar to Pei Wei spicy chicken salad. I felt a little better about eating the batter covered chicken on top of a salad :) try it sometime.