Skip to main content

Paleo pumpkin pie

My husband had breakfast duty for his work.  He made breakfast tacos and a paleo pumpkin pie.  He does paleo and one of his coworkers is gluten free so they were both going to be able to eat this pie along with everyone else.

I used this recipe for the best paleo pumpkin pie.  Unfortunately I only have a photo of the crust and not the finished pie!  The crust was perfect, the pie filling was good, but maybe a few too many spices for us.  I'd like to try just pumpkin pie spice next time.  I also had leftover filling that didn't fit into my crust so I baked just some filling on the side in a baking dish. I think it'd be nice to just have the filling baked in individual ramekins for friends.

I followed the recipe as written.  I did the suggested substitution of pecans for walnuts.


Pie Crust
  • 1 ¼ cups raw walnut halves (you could also substitute pecans)
  • 1 cup almond flour
  • 1 egg white (keep the leftover yolk for the pie filling)
  • pinch of salt
  1. Preheat oven to 375F.
  2. Grind pecans in a food processor until finely ground and almost starting to clump together.
  3. Mix pecans, almond flour, egg white, and salt together.  (you can do this in the food processor too)
  4. Use your fingers to press pie crust into a pie pan
  5. Pierce the crust all over with a fork to stop bubbling while it bakes.
  6. Bake for 20-22 minutes, until starting to turn golden brown.
  7. Let cool at least 10 minutes before pouring the custard in.
Pumpkin Pie Filling
  • 15 ounce can pumpkin puree
  • 2/3 cups raw pecans
  • 1/3 cup raw cashews 
  • 3 eggs and leftover egg yolk
  • ¼ cup honey
  • ¼ cup maple syrup
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp ginger
  • 1 tsp allspice
  • 1 tsp nutmeg
  • ½ tsp cloves
  • ¼ tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350F (if you’re making your pie right after making the crust, just reduce the temperature).
  2. Place cashews and pecans in your food processor and pulse until finely ground.  Add eggs, honey and maple syrup and blend for 2-3 minutes until completely smooth (you could also add some of the water if it’s too thick for your food processor or blender to puree well).
  3. Add the rest of the ingredients and blend until combined.
  4. Pour into cooled pie shell (doesn’t need to be room temperature, just cool enough to touch).  Spread the top out evenly with a spatula.
  5. Bake for 40 minutes.  Allow pie to cool completely before serving.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov

Low iodine taco

Taco seasoning Ground Beef Red Onion, diced Garlic, minced Lettuce, shredded Avocado Lime juice Tomato, diced 1 Jalapeno, diced No salt salsa Unsalted tortilla chips, I used Guiltless Gourmet Taco Seasoning 2 teaspoons cumin 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon non iodized salt 1 teaspoon pepper 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 1 teaspoon corn starch Guacamole 3 avocados juice of 1 lime 1/4 of a diced red onion diced jalapeno Mix together taco seasoning ingredients and add to 1 pound ground meat, minced garlic, and 3/4 of diced onion. Brown meat, garlic,b and onions until cooked through. Put no salt added tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, meat mixture, salsa, lettuce and guacamole

Low Iodine Diet

I have to be on this low iodine diet for a while. At least until the end of February. You will be seeing some new recipes coming as my husband and I try to cook things to fit this diet. More info can be found here Thyroid Cancer Survivor Association I don't have thyroid cancer. I do have to have the same treatment as a thyroid cancer patient would have. Don't worry! I'll be fine in a few months. Some of the guidelines include -No seafood. no problem since I don't eat any -No soy products. no soy sauce, no tofu, no soy beans. sadness :( -No processed foods. The frozen meals I like to eat at lunch at work are now OUT. AHHHHHHHHHH and so are things like canned soup. Good bye tomato soup in a can -No dairy. Whatever is used to clean the cow milking equipment has iodine. how will I like without milk, cheese, and yogurt. it really puts a damper on my breakfast options. -Only fresh bread. I just threw a loaf of sliced wheat bread in the freezer for when the diet