Skip to main content

Annual Summer Party-Spanish theme

We had so much food yesterday for our annual summer house party that I do not have photos for all of it.

I will start with my personal contribution. I doubled the recipe and got about 60 empanadas. I also used store bought pie crusts. I loved the result and honestly it took me several hours just to make the filling, cut the circles in the dough, fill them and bake them.

Beef and Potato Empanadas

Filling:
2 medium potatoes, boiled for 5 minutes
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 pound extra lean ground beef
1 onion, chopped
1 teaspoon chile powder
3/4 teaspoon round cumin
Salt and pepper to taste

Grate the potatoes and set aside. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil. Add the ground beef and brown, breaking up as it cooks. Add potatoes, onion, spices and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until ingredients are soft. Cool.

Served with Chimichurri Sauce

1/2 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1/3 cup minced fresh parsley
1 clove garlic
2 minced shallots
1 teaspoon minced basil, thyme or oregano, or mixture
Salt and pepper to taste

Combine all ingredients in food processor and blend. Let set for at least 2 hours before serving.

The grated potato and onions and seasoning


Ground meat


The ingredients stirred together and heated until the onions and potatoes softened


After filling and baking


The sauce ingredients. I picked basil from my own yard! I have three types of basil growing this year



Onto the dishes my husband made with my assistance

Patatas Bravas (I diced all those potatoes and pureed the rasted red peppers with the onion)


Spanish Chicken with Potatoes (I washed the potatoes, dumped seasoning into a bowl, and cut lemons)




Mixed greens with pear, manchego cheese, and a homemade lemon vinaigrette
(I washed the greens and ripped them into pieces)


We had lots of Sangria but I only have a photo of the fruit. I took the brandy soaked fruit out of the bowl and put it into our pitchers. That is the end of my food contributions to this party!


Shrimp were grilled by my husband


Chorizo sausage were grilled. My dad actually manned the grill for these guys for us. Next to the sausage is the only Spanish cheese I found at Harris Teeter. It had a rosemary crust and was really good. Also in the tray but not photographed were a blue cheese, another soft cheese, and serrano ham.


I happen to be related to chefs of these next selections but I had no hand in the making of these yummy items :)

Yellow Rice made by my mom


Texas Sheet Cake made by my mom


Butterscotch Oatmeal Cookies made by my mom


My aunt made Half and Half Cookies. I am going to get the recipe! Yum


My sister-in-law made these brownies


Lastly, my oldest friend Jill made this potato tortilla and garlic mayo. It tasted AMAZING

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

7 layer salad bars

I needed a quick baby shower food for today. I think a nestie recommended this recipe. Its from Pampered Chef originally. It was yummy and it is all gone! It did not last more than a few hours. *I used both shredded cheddar cheese and parmesan cheese on my salad bars! Seven Layer Salad Squares Pampered Chef Ingredients 2 (8 oz) pkgs refrigerated crescent dinner rolls 8 oz cream cheese, softened 1/2 cup miracle whip 1 clove garlic, minced 6 slices bacon, crisply cooked, drained and crumbled divided 1 cup frozen peas, thawed, divided 1 tomato, sliced shredded lettuce 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese 1/2 cup coarsely chopped red onion Directions 1) Preheat oven to 375° F. 2) Unroll one pkg dough across one end of a bar pan with longest sides of dough across width of pan. 3) Repeat with remaining package of dough to fill the pan. 4) Using rolling pin or your fingers seal seams and press up sides to form crust. 5) Bake 12-15 min until golden brown. Remove from ov

Low iodine taco

Taco seasoning Ground Beef Red Onion, diced Garlic, minced Lettuce, shredded Avocado Lime juice Tomato, diced 1 Jalapeno, diced No salt salsa Unsalted tortilla chips, I used Guiltless Gourmet Taco Seasoning 2 teaspoons cumin 1/2 teaspoon oregano 1/2 teaspoon non iodized salt 1 teaspoon pepper 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon cayenne 1 teaspoon corn starch Guacamole 3 avocados juice of 1 lime 1/4 of a diced red onion diced jalapeno Mix together taco seasoning ingredients and add to 1 pound ground meat, minced garlic, and 3/4 of diced onion. Brown meat, garlic,b and onions until cooked through. Put no salt added tortilla chips in the bottom of a bowl, meat mixture, salsa, lettuce and guacamole

Low Iodine Diet

I have to be on this low iodine diet for a while. At least until the end of February. You will be seeing some new recipes coming as my husband and I try to cook things to fit this diet. More info can be found here Thyroid Cancer Survivor Association I don't have thyroid cancer. I do have to have the same treatment as a thyroid cancer patient would have. Don't worry! I'll be fine in a few months. Some of the guidelines include -No seafood. no problem since I don't eat any -No soy products. no soy sauce, no tofu, no soy beans. sadness :( -No processed foods. The frozen meals I like to eat at lunch at work are now OUT. AHHHHHHHHHH and so are things like canned soup. Good bye tomato soup in a can -No dairy. Whatever is used to clean the cow milking equipment has iodine. how will I like without milk, cheese, and yogurt. it really puts a damper on my breakfast options. -Only fresh bread. I just threw a loaf of sliced wheat bread in the freezer for when the diet